Papua New Guinea: 24
Wales: 0

Papua New Guinea:
  • Kyle Laybutt (8),
  • Nixon Putt (12),
  • Jimmy Ngutlik (24),
  • Dan Russell (30),
  • Nixon Putt (47),
  • Jimmy Ngutlik (77)

Papua New Guinea:
  • Rhyse Martin (6/6)

Papua New Guinea:
  • Alex Johnston,
  • Rodrick Tai,
  • Nene McDonald,
  • Justin Olam,
  • Jimmy Ngutlik,
  • Kyle Laybutt,
  • Lachlan Lam,
  • Wellington Albert,
  • Edwin Ipape,
  • Emmanuel Waine,
  • Nixon Putt,
  • Rhyse Martin,
  • Jacob Alick.
  • Subs: Wesser Tenza,
  • Dan Russell,
  • Sherwin Tanabi,
  • Jeremiah Simbiken
  • Caleb Aekins,
  • Kyle Evans,
  • Will Evans,
  • Elliot Kear,
  • Rhys Williams,
  • Ollie Olds,
  • Josh Ralph,
  • Anthony Walker,
  • Matty Fozard,
  • Gavin Bennion,
  • Rhodri Lloyd,
  • Bailey Antrobus,
  • Joe Burke.
  • Subs: Dan Fleming,
  • Chester Butler,
  • Curtis Davies,
  • Connor Davies

Match report

Standout performances from Jimmy Ngutlik and Nixon Putt helped Papua New Guinea book a quarter-final clash with England after a 36-0 win over Wales.

The Kumuls will now face the host nation in Wigan on Saturday after coming through their final Group D test in impressive fashion at a soaking Eco-Power Stadium.

Winger Ngutlik produced a mesmerising try midway through the first half for his maiden international try, by which time Kyle Laybutt and Putt had already put them in full control.

Player of the match Putt got his second score not long after the interval, with forward Dan Russell also getting in on the act.

Captain and second row Rhyse Martin bagged a 12-point haul with some flawless kicking as Papua New Guinea produced their most impressive performance at the tournament to date.

Wales, hoping for a first Rugby League World Cup finals win since beating the same opponents at the quarter final stage of the 2000 tournament, battled hard but were never in danger of obstructing the Kumuls’ route to the knockouts.

However, John Kear’s Dragons can be proud of their overall efforts in a difficult group despite a third defeat in Doncaster.

In atrocious Yorkshire conditions Papua New Guinea made a dream start by extinguishing any Welsh hopes of reaching the knock-out stage with a couple of quickfire tries.

First Kyle Laybutt found a gap in the Wales’ defence to dive over for the opening score after just seven minutes, his second try of the tournament.

Then a sustained period of Papua New Guinea pressure ended with Nixon Putt dotting-down from close range.

Wales did respond with some territory of their own, stand-off Ollie Olds’ clever kick nearly getting them on the scoreboard.

But they were then dealt a further setback after a moment of magic from Ngutlik.

The flying winger found a gap near the halfway line and danced through a wall of red shirts for a memorable score in only his second international appearance.

A long stretch from Russell then gave the Kumuls a fourth try before the break, their powerful pack again proving too strong.

Wales again went close with Josh Ralph’s grubber kick just yards from the whitewash narrowly failing to find a red shirt.

But normal service resumed for the Kumals not long after the interval, Putt dotting down for his second of the game following wave-after-wave of attack on the Dragons defence.

Once again, the Wales refused to give in easily, their battling defence a trademark of this Rugby League World Cup but they were often let down by the final pass.

Ngutlik then put the seal on the win for Papua New Guinea in the final minutes, bundling over after Kyle Evans failed to gather a kick.