Ireland: 38
Scotland: 4

Match report

In a game played in grizzly conditions Ireland's plans were soon hit by an injury to Ireland's Elliot Fox during their first set of six.

Soon after quick hands followed by an in and out run by Daniel Coop, arcing back towards the left wing to crash over the line for the first score.

On the next set of six after the restart Ireland worked the ball to centre field and kicked early from their own 40m.  The ball bounced unkindly for the Scottish winger and went backwards, into the hands of Ryan Murphy, who offloaded to fullback Shea Cotter, who went back around the outside of the winger to score in the left corner with shades of Graham Steadman versus Australia in Melbourne, 1992. A touchline conversion followed from Coop.

The Irish were buoyed and from the kickoff both Irish props made impressive breaks in the space of three tackles and this was followed by Patrick Houston taking the ball to the line, creating a half break, before moving the ball left to Alex Gorman who quickly moved it to Cotter who scored his second try of the game.

Ireland knocked on early in the next set and the Scottish got their first possession in the Irish half and it nearly came to a score.  Elusive running by Lachlan Webster saw him get the ball out to Michael Reilly but he was tackled into touch, just shy of scoring.

Ireland then went the full length of the field through two outstanding drives by Houston before Murphy was stopped short and was penalised for a double movement. 

On 21 minutes Ireland were awarded a penalty and from the tap Luke Fisher blasted through from 20 metres out to extend the score and Coop added the conversion.

It didn't take long for Ireland to score their next try.  Ben Mulvany crashed over from short out and Gorman converted the kick.

Ireland were in the ascendency and from the restart Mulvany ran 50m before being tackled.  Ireland then got to within 10m out of the Scottish line and earned a penalty.  From there they were held up and soon after a speculative side footed kick by Cotter saw him regather the ball and complete his hat-trick of tries, scoring out left of the posts and Gorman added the extras.

Scotland needed something to give them a foothold and the restart gave them a goal line drop out but they knocked on the first tackle.  Ireland took advantage to move down the pitch but good, Scottish defence held them out and they soon had a penalty to piggyback them up the pitch.  Now the Scottish got to within five metres of the Irish line but lost the ball in contact.

Following the scrum Ireland were given a penalty for a high tackle and the outstanding Houston crashed over with several Scottish players hanging off him, by the side of the posts, with Gorman converting the try.

Ireland made an error from the restart and after Scotland got a penalty a smart cutout pass by Isaac Jepson put Henry Grierson in out wide right.  The missed conversion was the last act of the first half

The second half began well for Scotland.  After kicking the ball to recommence the game The Scottish right side defenders forced the Irish ball carrier into touch but another knock on soon after ceded good field position.  It wasn't only Scotland though, Ireland were struggling to keep hold of the ball as well with both sides losing the ball as the conditions worsened.

Ireland broke the deadlock with a second try for Houston, via a barnstorming run.  

Scotland soon got back on the scoreboard when they seized upon a spilled ball.  Jepson, with the luxury of several runners giving him options, put Webster through on an outstanding line, for an excellent try, which was converted by Myles Michael.

Scotland then got the upper hand for the next few minutes.  Despite both sides making errors Scotland kept hold of the ball better and after attacking the left hand side of the posts they swung the ball right for Cuillin Stoddart-Shannly to barge over, out wide.  Michael then added the conversion

For the next few minutes errors kept Scotland in their own 30m area.  Ireland capitalised upon this when Houston got his third try when he barged over and Coop returned to kicking duties to add the extra two points.

From the restart Ireland worked up the middle and on the back of a penalty they went in to the left of the posts after a strong run by Luke Fisher, with Coop converting. 

Both sides then probed for openings and the Irish came closest and were awarded a penalty for a trip.  From this they quickly moved the ball right before Daniel Horkan then straightened up to crash over and a successful conversion by Gorman followed.

With the game now entering its final stages Ireland worked the ball up the right and brought it back centre for a kick on the fifth to the left side of the field and when the Scottish winger failed to grab the ball Louis Curran kicked through, picked up and scored what was to be the final try, with Gorman adding the extras

From the restart the Scottish failed to kick the ball 10 but referee Jason Le Lievre decided that time was completed and ended the game.  Ireland were victors and had taken their chances well, in ugly conditions.  Scotland had struggled to complete their sets but they deserved their scores.

Ireland: Shea Cotter, John Reynolds, Louis Curran, Daniel Coop, Ryan Murphy, Alex Gorman, Daniel Ridpath, Luke Fisher, Elliott Fox, Zak Brand, Callum Dooley, Daniel Horkan, Patrick Houston
Interchanges: Luke Nagys, Setanta Gleeson, Shane Clarke, Joshua Nugent, Ben Mulvany, Oisin Carroll

Tries: Daniel Coop (6), Shea Cotter (9, 11, 27), Luke Fisher (21), Ben Mulvany (24), Patrick Houston (37, 45 , 61), Luke Fisher (65), Daniel Horkan (75), Louis Curran (79)
Goals: Daniel Coop 4/6, Alex Gorman 5/6

Scotland: Michael Warner, Sebastian Millar, Lachlan Webster, Seth Clapham, Michael Reilly, Isaac Jepson, Joe Clarkson, Joe Miller, Myles Michael, Arran Hinshelwood, Alfie Jackson, Rory Irving, Henry Grierson. 
Interchanges: Cuillin Stodart-Shannly, Ben Milnes, Leo Johnson

Tries: Henry Grierson (40 minutes), Lachlan Webster (48 minutes), Cuillin Stodart-Shannly (55 minutes)
Goals: Myles Michael 2/3