Australia: 0
England: 0

    Pauli, Gutherson, Goodsell 2, McGill, Walker, Johnson
    Briscoe 2, Saltonstall

    Gutherson 6/7
    Percival 1/3

Match report


The England Academy fell to a 2-0 series defeat against the Australian Schoolboys at Wynnum-Manly earlier today after losing the second test 40-14. After falling to a 41-10 defeat in the first test between the sides in Canberra last week, the England Academy couldn’t find the ingredients required to overturn the series in what was a feisty encounter throughout.

It took just five minutes for the animosity between the sides to surface when a 26-man brawl broke out in centre field and both sides were to finish the half with just 12 men when Liam McAvoy was sent to the sidelines accompanied by his Australian counterpart. England looked to have gotten the better of the psychological battle when winger James Saltonstall got on the end of a deft chip from skipper John Bateman to cross in the corner and record the first points of the game.

However the Schoolboys responded on the 15 minute mark through forward Pauli Pauli, who dived over from just a few yards out to level the score before they took the lead through centre Clint Gutherson who barrelled his way over from 10 yards out. Australia then doubled their advantage through winger Goodsell who found himself in acres of space to collect a perfectly weighted kick from half-back Moses. A hammer blow was struck just before the hooter when loose forward Chad McGill crashed through the defence after receiving an inside ball to give the home side a 24-6 half-time advantage.

The second half saw the Australian’s continue to dominate and on the ten minute mark Goodsell scored his second of the game, capitalizing on some loose defending after a period of scrappy play from both sides. England’s Saltonstall looked to have scored his second of the game only for the referee to pull the play back for a forward pass and just two minutes later England found themselves further behind when Dylan Walker was put through with clear field in front of him.

Academy centre Luke Briscoe brought England back into contention when he scored the first of two tries on the 28 minute mark following some unconventional play from stand-off Williams to put the Leeds Rhinos player through. Both sides where then reduced to 12 men for the second time in the contest, when England’s James Cunningham and Australia’s Brad Deitz were sent from the field.

Moments later Australia’s full-back Alex Johnson scored an 80 meter solo effort after he collected a high bomb from Liam Sutcliffe and found only open field ahead to exploit. It was England who had the last say in the game when Briscoe gathered a chip through from Williams to fight his way over the line but it’s was scant consolation when the final hooter went with the scores set at 40-14.

Pictured: Schoolboys fullback Alex Johnston is halted.
Photo credit: Our Footy Team

Alex Johnston, Jack Goodsell, Clint Gutherson, Paul Simona, Willis Meehan, Mitchell Moses, Luke Brooks, Matthew Lodge, Bradley Deitz, Jeremy Cropper, Kelepi Tanginoa, Adam Elliott, Chad McGill. Subs: Dylan Walker, Chris Smith, Jai Arrow, Pauli Pauli

Greg Wilde, James Saltonstall, Luke Briscoe, Mark Percival, James Duckworth, Liam Sutcliffe, George Williams, Gavin Bennion, James Cunningham, John Bateman, Jordan Baldwinson, Connor Farrell, Ben Currie. Subs: Dominic Speakman, Luke Thompson, Josh Johnson, Liam McAvoy