Wales: 0
Ireland: 0

  • Sam Baker (6),
  • Aled Davies (35),
  • George Edge (64),
  • Kieran Lewis (79)
  • Aedan Coleman (23),
  • Josh Dean (27)

  • Rex Boulter (2/2)

  • Cobi Green,
  • Aled Davies,
  • Connah Harding,
  • Rowland Kaye,
  • Sam Baker,
  • Fraser Stroud,
  • Mathew Morgan,
  • Dewi Billingham,
  • Macauley Harris,
  • Max Hendy,
  • Ellis Simon,
  • Rhys Davies,
  • Kieran Lewis.
  • Subs: Charley Bodman,
  • George Edge,
  • Jacob Lee,
  • Ieuan Roberts
  • Aedan Coleman,
  • Jorge Cabral,
  • Conor Creaby,
  • Jack O'Sullivan,
  • Zak Fellows,
  • Josh Dean,
  • Brad Sheridan,
  • James Molvany,
  • Rex Boulter,
  • Euan tiernan,
  • Kevin Varga,
  • Tommy Chipchase,
  • Peter Ryan.
  • Subs: Aaron Ryan,
  • Paul Bolger,
  • James Cromie,
  • Gareth Gardner

Match report

Wales ended the Student Four Nations Championships with a well-deserved 18-12 win over Ireland with 16-year old Keiron Lewis scoring the winning try with the final move of the game.

Lewis, who plays his rugby league with West Wales Raiders and Coleg y Cymoedd and who will be able to start to learn to drive a car in five weeks’ time, supported the more experienced Fraser Stroud, another player who had a great game for the Welsh today to ignite celebrations from the men in red.

It was a tough tournament for the Welsh who fielded a number of players under the age of 18 and were the youngest side, but this outfit is set to gain more experience and grow together as they build for their big goal - the 2021 World Cup which will be held in England.

Wales took the lead in this game on six minutes after Sam Baker got onto the end of a good passing move to score in the corner. The conversion was missed.

The Welsh kept pounding the Irish line but were met with a strong backline. They won a couple of repeat sets but were still unable to score.

Ireland made them pay and from their next attack, Aedan Coleman charged through and Rex Boulter converted well.

From kick-off, Ireland got their second try after Josh Dean sold a dummy to slip over the line. Boulter converted again to put them 12-4 up.

Again Wales looked for a try back. Macauley Harris was close, but from the next tackle, Aled Davies did well to score in the corner. Stroud looked to have converted by the officials thought otherwise and the score remained at 12-8.

Thanks to stoppages, the second half lasted over 50 minutes. A few early injuries interrupted the flow of play for a short time in the early part, as Ireland went on the attack, desperately looking for a third try.

But it was Wales who scored next on 64 minutes. Cobi Green fed late squad replacement George Edge who grounded in the corner for an unconverted try to level the scores at 12-all.

As the game entered the last ten minutes, it was looking like it would be next score the winner. Wales were close, having a try disallowed for off-side, before successfully cleaning up a length of the field Irish set.

It was a stunning length of the field play that won the game for Wales. Stroud broke well and ran 70 metres and 16-year old Kieron Lewis was supporting him from the next tackle, running over for the try. Stroud kicked the conversion as the clock ticked over to 80 to cement the victory.