Wales: 16
England: 4

  • Lloyd McEwan-Peters (17),
  • Daniel Bartlett (26),
  • Carter Pritchard (31),
  • Troy Shearan (53)
  • Brandan Rowland (7),
  • Harrison Dodd (45),
  • Harrison Dodd (62)

  • Charlie Stoddart (0/1),
  • Ethan Paterson (3/3)
  • Thomas Papworth (1/3)

  • Ryan Williams,
  • Ethan Stebbings,
  • Ethan Paterson,
  • Lloyd McEwan-Peters,
  • Ben Morris,
  • Charlie Stoddart,
  • Isaac Wheatley,
  • Lewis Jones,
  • Dafydd Morgan,
  • Rhodri Rees,
  • Troy Shearan,
  • Daniel Bartlett,
  • Zak Williams.
  • Subs: Jayden Grey,
  • Oliver Ford,
  • Kaden Johnson,
  • Carter Pritchard
  • Harrison Dodd,
  • Seth Abong,
  • Oliver Smart,
  • Ruben Ruane,
  • Jamie Jennings,
  • Thomas Papworth,
  • Jackson Evans,
  • Alfie Howley,
  • Joseph Davies,
  • Harvey Roberts,
  • Brandan Rowland,
  • Tyler Jowitt,
  • Hayden Mitchell.
  • Subs: Fletcher Holgate,
  • Daniel Robson,
  • Marcus Greener,
  • Cian Gleadall

Match report

The biggest rugby league crowd at Stebonheath Park in over 63 years saw a classic game of rugby league as Wales U16s beat England Lions 22-14.

It was the first four-figure rugby league crowd in Llanelli since the 2000 World Cup when Wales beat Lebanon at Stradey Park, and the highest at Stebonheath since 1959, when 3,593 saw Wales against St Helens in a promotional tour match.

It was also just the second time Wales have beaten England at under 16 level, the other time being a victory over their full academy side in 2017.

England took the lead on seven minutes when a good passing move sent Brandon Rowland over. Thomas Papworth missing the conversion attempt.

Wales levelled on 18 minutes when Lloyd McEwan-Peters scored in the corner. Charlie Stoddart’s kick was just wide.

Then nine minutes later, they took the lead. Dan Bartlett forced his way over and Ethan Paterson kicked the conversion.

Wales extended their advantage eight minutes before the interval when Carter Pritchard finished off a good set of six. Paterson converted again to give Wales 16-4 lead at the break.

England struck first in the second half as Harrison Dodd evaded his markers to dodge through and go in under the sticks. Papworth converted.

But Wales addressed the balance when Troy Shearan dived over on 49 minutes. Paterson converted to bring the score up to 22-10.

Wales received a set-back with Ethan Stebbings was sinbinned for a high tackle and England took advantage as Harrison Dodd scored in the corner.

Just as Wales were about to get back to 13 players, England went down as Harvey Roberts received yellow for a similar incident.

Wales nearly went over the line twice more, one denied by the England defence and one chalked off for a knock-on, but it was a dominant performance that earned the well-coached home side’s win.

Wales head coach Paul Berry said: “I’m delighted for the players as they’ve worked so hard for this and made so many sacrifices, especially as this was a Bank Holiday weekend and they’ve been away from their families since Thursday, missing Jubilee parties and training hard.

“There was over a thousand here today, the biggest crowd in 63 years. That crowd were our 14th man today and it was great to see them all. I saw lots of kids in different club shirts from places like Aber Valley Wolves and Bridgend Blue Bulls and they’re all doing a marvellous job in building clubs and rugby league in Wales.”