England: 16
New Zealand: 4

  • Nick Leigh (8),
  • Sam Zellar (12),
  • Scott Gobin (18),
  • Sam Zellar (27),
  • Tommy Pouncey (32),
  • Adam Fleming (38),
  • Nick Kennedy (44),
  • Scott Gobin (48)
New Zealand:
  • Roko Nailolo (25),
  • Michael Kulene (35)

  • Sam Zellar (3/5),
  • Darren Dean (1/1),
  • Mike Addison (0/1),
  • Scott Gobin (1/1)
New Zealand:
  • Michael Kulene (0/1),
  • Roko Nailolo (1/1)

  • Sam Zellar,
  • Mike Addison,
  • Callum Parkinson,
  • Nick Leigh,
  • Nick Kennedy,
  • Adam Fleming,
  • Darren Dean,
  • Ben Nicholson,
  • Jamie Barnett,
  • Scott Gobin,
  • Tommy Pouncey,
  • Ben Seward,
  • Harvey Redmonds.
  • Subs: Victor Clarke,
  • Adam Morris,
  • Connor Lynes,
  • John Clements
New Zealand:
  • Harvey Roach,
  • Jeremy Harris,
  • Max Walsh,
  • Timothy Ragg,
  • Kent Stroobant,
  • Shane Ratahi,
  • Mal Davis,
  • Michael Kulene,
  • Daley Manu,
  • Roko Nailolo,
  • Delta Taeauga,
  • Matthew Williams,
  • Shane Culling.
  • Subs: Matthew Slade,
  • Jed Stone

Match report

The first Physical Disability Rugby League World Cup final brought the teams of England and New Zealand to the home of Warrington Wolves for a match of huge significance and honour for both teams.

In front of a large crowd, the Kiwis set the scene with a spine-chilling Haka, with both teams staring each other out for several seconds afterwards.

After a competitive early period, with both teams taking it close to the line, England took it down the line and Nick Leigh finished off the move by going over for the first try of the final.

Callum Parkinson was put out on the right by a pass from Sam Zellar and ran half-the-length of the pitch, breaking several tackles before handing off to Zellar, who was up in support and ran clear to score under the posts.

Both teams put in some heavy tackles, with Jamie Barnett forced to leave the field with a leg injury after tackling Mal Davis, and made big yards in attack.

The captain Scott Gobin then raised the roof from those watching the match with a long-range try, diving through a gap and storming to the line.

Although England were leading the way, the game was not one-sided and New Zealand continued to press, with their forwards making England work.

After the England captain Gobin was forced off with a knee injury after getting caught into a tackle, New Zealand took advantage with Roko Nailolo taking a tipped pass and finding space to dive over in the corner, giving the Kiwis a bit of hope at half-time.

That hope was dampened early in the second half when the speedy Sam Zellar took the ball from dummy half, then ducked and dived through several tackle attempts to run clear and under the posts, with Darren Dean adding the extras

With handling errors starting to creep in to the game for New Zealand, it gave England more chances to attack and after Darren Dean made a break and Sam Zellar was stopped on the line, Tommy Pouncy dived over from dummy half to give England a bit of distance.

Although New Zealand were able to get another try on the board with a battering run from Michael Kulene, a try in the corner from Adam Fleming kept the distance between the sides and a short-range try from Nick Kennedy made the game safe for England, before Gobin got his second and sealed the deal for England with a wonderful long-range run.

It was the final score and set the scene for wild celebrations at the final whistle for the jubilant players and staff, with England becoming the very first Physical Disability Rugby League World Cup winners.

New Zealand were disappointed, but not despondent, as they had played their part in a week of great Rugby League and comradeship between the competing teams.