Ireland: 24
Wales: 16

  • Peter Johnston (5),
  • Joe Calcott (15),
  • Peter Johnston (21),
  • Oran Spain (26),
  • Phil Roberts (64)
  • Martin Lane (2),
  • Gary Preece (29),
  • Stuart Williams (37),
  • Scott Trigg-Turner (42),
  • Martin Lane (69),
  • Scott Trigg-Turner (78)

  • Peter Johnston (5/5)
  • Stephen Halsey (2/4),
  • Gary Preece (1/2)

  • Oran Spain,
  • Phil Roberts,
  • Peter Johnston,
  • Joe Calcott,
  • Matthew Wooloff,
  • Toby Burton-Carter,
  • Paddy Forbes,
  • Cian Horgan,
  • James McCarthy,
  • Rick Rodgers
  • Stuart Williams,
  • Stephen Halsey,
  • Gary Preece,
  • Harry Jones,
  • Martin Lane,
  • Scott Trigg-Turner,
  • Mason Baker,
  • Lucie Roberts,
  • Mark Williams,
  • Alex Powell

Match report

By Ian Golden

Wales and Ireland fought out the first draw in Welsh history, the game ending 30-30, in what was Wales’ 50th international match, only the second nation, after England, to reach that goal.

Martin Lane raced down the middle to give Wales the lead in the second minute. Stephen Halsey converted.

A Peter Johnston try and goal soon levelled things before a Joe Calcott try gave them the lead. Johnston converted again, then added the next Ireland try.

Oran Spain raced away for Ireland’s fourth try with Johnston converting again.

Wales got back into the game on 29 minutes as Gary Preece did well to avail his tacklers to score. Halsey converted well.

Then skipper Stuart Williams scored in the corner for Wales’ third. Preece, deputising for injured Halsey, missed the kick.

Wales started well in the second half as Scott Trigg-Turner scored with Preece converting to bring the score back to 24-22.

Harry Jones was unlucky not to give Wales the lead from the next set, so Ireland were next over, through player-coach Phil Roberts with Johnston converting again.

A Martin Lane try brought Wales back into it, but Ireland still in pole position to win the game and the trophy.

However the Irish fumbled near to their own line and Wales took advantage straight away. Trigg-Turner scored, Halsey missed the conversion and the scores were level with the Welsh losing the 100 per cent Celtic Cup record but still very much in the tournament.