Scotland: 0
Ireland: 0

    Niall Sidney, Cammy Harrison, Jordan Gray, Caley Gray 2, Connor Meikle, Calum Weir, Alfie Edwards 3, Alex Williams, Sean McKervail, Timmy Kennedy 2, Callum Kennedy
    Marcus Heath

    Matt Hogg 7/10,Niall Sidney 3/5
    Josh Battishill 1/1

Match report

A very wet West of Scotland FC in Milngavie, just outside Glasgow, was host for the under 19s match between Scotland and Northern Ireland, where Scotland were the dominant winners in a one sided game.

Scotland opened up the scoring inside 5 minutes when what looked like a loose pass was kicked forward and touched down under the sticks by the Scottish fullback, Niall Sidney which was subsequently converted by Scotland captain Matt Hogg. The Northern Ireland defence was made to work hard after a number of repeat sets in the Northern Irish half eventually giving way when Cammy Harrison crossed the line and the try was again, converted by Hogg.

The pace of the game quickly took its toll on the young Northern Ireland team and as the injuries started to mount, Scotland furthered their lead as Jordan Gray and Caley Gray ran in two quick tries bringing the score to 22-0 after so many minutes.

Trying to pull the game back, Northern Ireland opted for a short kick off, but a penalty was given to Scotland after the ball didn’t cover the 10m and this was capitalised as Caley Gray scored his second try which was converted by Hogg.

More defensive sets and more injuries for Northern Ireland during the last 10 minutes of the first half ultimately gave way to the Scotland scoring two converted tries with Connor Meikle and Calum Weir both crossing under the sticks and with Alfie Edwards crossing on the half time mark, the hosts went into the break 44-0 in the lead.

After the break it was an uphill struggle for Northern Ireland who started the second half with 12 men on the field due to injury, and it was much the same script for Scotland with Alex Williams breaking from dummy half to score which was successfully converted. A second try for Alfie Edwards was sandwiched between a period of ill discipline for Scotland which saw second row Sean McKervail sin binned for a tackle in the air and Caley Gray sent from the field for 10 minutes for a dangerous tackle.

Alfie Edwards scored his hat-trick try with a break on the halfway line which was converted by Niall Sidney who took up kicking duties, and Sean McKervail scored quickly after returning from the sin bin. Northern Ireland managed a consolation try when Marcus Heath managed to scramble across the Scotland defence, converted by Josh Battishill bringing the score to 66-6.

With the game entering in the last 10 minutes, Scotland passed through the tired Northern Irish defence with three tries in quick succession. Two tries scored by Timmy Kennedy the first a line break from his own half, and a second after linking up with twin brother Callum Kennedy on the right hand side. Keeping the ball alive in the dying seconds saw Caley Gray crossing for his hat-trick and Scotland’s 15th try of the game With the convertsion by Matt Hogg, the full time whistle blew leaving the score 80 – 6 in Scotland’s favour.

Sin bin: Sean McKervail, Caley Gray (SCO).

Niall Sidney, Alfie Edwards, Clayton Woods,, Callum Kennedy, Patrick Noutch, Matt Hogg,  Archie Andrade, Jack Stevenson, Alex Williams, Cammy Harrison, Connor Miekle, Sean McKervail, Caley Gray. Subs: Eliot Scanlon-Wells, Calum Weir, Ruari McMillan, Timmy Kennedy, Jordan Gray, Aidan Giblett

James Millar, Reeve Kennedy, Marcus Heath, Dylan Postlethwaite, Jonathan Miller, Josh Battishill, Josh Brame, Ruairi Shirlow, Jack McIlroy, Shea McGloughlin, James Cromie, Jake Elliott, Scott McNarry, Joe Murphy, Jonny Clements