Scotland: 0
Wales: 0

  • Luke Walters (4),
  • Luke Walters (26),
  • Chris Jollands (33),
  • Jack McMillan (43),
  • Craig Robertson (72)
  • Rowland Kaye (19),
  • Cobi Green (30)

  • Matthew Hogg (5/7)
  • Fraser Stroud (0/2)

  • Jonny Hutton,
  • Clayton Woods,
  • Jake Seymour,
  • Craig Robertson,
  • Fraser McNee,
  • Alex Williams,
  • Matthew Hogg,
  • Connor Terrill,
  • Luke Walters,
  • Josh Honan,
  • Jack McMillan,
  • Charlie Emslie,
  • Jordan Duncan.
  • Subs: Dan May,
  • Josh Dalton,
  • Chris Jollands,
  • Niall Hall
  • Connah Harding,
  • James Bartlett,
  • Rowland Kaye,
  • Aled Davies,
  • Sam Baker,
  • Cobi Green,
  • Fraser Stroud,
  • Rhys Davies,
  • Macauley Harris,
  • Ellis Simon,
  • Jacob Lee,
  • Dewi Billingham,
  • Max Hendy.
  • Subs: Kieran Lewis,
  • Ieuan Roberts,
  • Matthew Morgan,
  • Charley Bodman

Match report

The young Wales Students side were outmuscled in Edinburgh on Wednesday evening, as their slim chances of winning the Four Nations title fell at the hands of the hosts, the Scots winning 30-8.

Scotland took the lead in the fourth minute after Luke Walters went over. Skipper Matt Hogg, who played for the full Scotland side in last year's World Cup qualifiers, converted.

Wales got one back on 19 minutes after Rowland Kaye burst through the backline to score. Fraser Stroud missed the conversion.

But Scotland extended their lead on 26 minutes after a great finish from Walters for his second, slipping from the grasp of Wales defenders following a good build-up. Hogg missed the kick so Scotland were 10-4 up.

Cobi Green got the second try for Wales, and it was another classic score as he broke diagonally through the Scottish defence to ground in the corner. The kick was again missed.

But straight away Scotland scored their third. Chris Jollands finishing off a good passing move and having too much strength for the Welsh. Hogg converted and then landed a penalty with the final kick of the first half to put Scotland 18-8 up.

They scored again from their first set after the break. It was another well-worked play that saw Jack McMillan run through a gap. Hogg converted.

After that it was stalemate for over 20 minutes as neither side could find a way through. As tensions mounted for Wales, they gave away a penalty with 15 minutes to go which put the Scots back on the attack. Then after being awarded another penalty after five minutes of pressure on the Welsh line, Hogg kicked to put Scotland 26-8 up to seal the match.

Craig Robertson, who played for the full Scotland side against Wales last year, rubbed salt into Welsh wounds by adding another try. Hogg missed the kick but it mattered not and Scotland now go into Saturday’s decider against England needing a 29-point win to clinch the title on home turf.